CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Staycation

My kids had the week of Presidents Day off from school, and lots of times we head to Utah to visit. This year we decided to stay home and just relax. On Monday Connor had a pick-up soccer game with his Vaqueros team. It was beautiful weather and a nice morning at the park.


I didn't actually get to see much of the game because I had to keep chasing this fairy princess as she flitted between the soccer fields and the playground. I can't wait for the day when I can go to one of my kids games and actually get to sit and enjoy watching them play!


After Connor's game we met some friends we don't get to see often enough at a park for lunch. Then we got to bring them to our house to hang out for the afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the two boys together, they never slowed down enough for me to get one!


On Wednesday I had to attend the funeral of dear friend's father-in-law. He was an incredible man and lived a full, good life. I will miss his funny stories in his cute little Filipino accent and I will really miss his homemade lumpia! He served our country in the Navy for many years and so he was buried at Fort Rosecrans Memorial Cemetery. I had never been there and was awe struck by the sight of it. It is miles of almost identical alabaster grave markers over looking the Pacific Ocean.

Because I was so taken with this cemetery i decided that my kids should experience it too. So the next day we went back and made a day of it. The cemetery is located in a part of San Diego called Point Loma. It's literally a point that juts off of California into the Pacific Ocean.


The cemetery is almost at the tip of this point, and there is also a National Park located right there. The kids and I went in and explored.
We stopped at the tide pools and rocky sandstone coast.


After visiting the tide pools we went to the point of Point Loma where this explorer, Cabrillo, first landed.


We sat on this bench right at the point and ate our lunch.


This was the view from the bench that we ate our lunch on. Beautiful.


In the background of this picture you can see the old Point Loma lighthouse. In the forground you can see Sam and Connor standing within 2 feet of each other and no one is crying. Miraculous.


We had a great time at Point Loma and so much fun spending time together as a family and with friends this last week. Sometimes I forget that I live in such a beautiful place with so much to do. We need to be tourists in our hometown more often!

5 comments:

Mateo said...

I can't believe we are even on the same planet. It looks so sunny and warm there. Looks heavenly. Can't wait to come visit though we are probably going to have to black out the windows before we come so we can feel at home.

Tigre said...

Last time I visited you guys I rode my bike out to the end of Point Loma. Beautiful, fun ride.

Kristy or Josh said...

I can't wait to come visit in May!

Katie Leigh said...

I love going to Point Loma! That's where Mike took me on our honeymoon because I love lighthouses.

Denise said...

I loved your stay-ca-tion photos and I am so glad we got to spend some of it with you. We truly value your friendships. Hope we can get together soon!