CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

This house is NOT for the birds!

One of the things that sold Shaun and I on this house when we first bought it was that it had lots of big windows. One of the first things we did when we moved in was take the blinds out of the windows. Eight years later I still love all my big windows, until today. I was back in my bedroom checking e-mails when Connor came screaming into my room, "Mom there's a bird in our house in the pretend tree!" I thought he was kidding me. He wasn't. I went out into the living room and sure enough there was a bird in the fake ficus! I had left the back sliding glass door open and apparently a bird flew in and landed on what it thought was a nice tree. The problem was that it soon realized it was not in the great outdoors anymore and wanted out! Here's where having lots of big windows is a bad thing. Not only could this bird not tell the difference between a real tree and a dusty fake one, it couldn't find an exit that wasn't covered in glass. It banged around to all the windows in my living room and entry trying to get out. Connor was freaking out and I was trying to stay calm. I knew it wasn't going to hurt us but the all the rustling of feathers and the banging can be a little disconcerting! The story came to my mind about a bird getting stuck in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake and all they had to do was shut all the doors and block all the windows except one and the bird went towards the light and flew out. I think this story also had a gospel truth attached to it but at the moment I was just trying to think how I could block all the light in the middle of the day, remember no blinds?! I did open the front door and the front screen and it flew out to our little screened in porch, but it still kept ramming into the screens around the porch, even though the door was wide open. It was making all sorts of squawking noises and apparently must have been calling for help because a couple of minutes later, as I was out on the porch with a broom trying to direct it to the door Connor yells, "Mom, there's another one in the house!" Sure enough another bird had perched in the ficus! Ahhh! For those of you who haven't been to my house you walk through our front door into our entry, which is vaulted, and if you keep walking straight you'd head right through our slider into the back yard. The second bird lit up above the slider, that because of the vaulted ceiling, is just a huge pane of glass. Now I have a bird at my front door and one at the slider and they keep flying back and forth between the two banging into the glass and the screens. If they had just flown a little lower they would have been either out the front door or the slider, but they kept flying up to the top of the vault. I'm sure if I thought about it I could tie a gospel principle to this story also. Not only was scaring Connor it was apparently scaring the poop out of these birds, literally. I guess it's a good thing that I don't really like that area rug in my entry way. After what seemed like an eternity (I'm not really sure how long they were in the house, but it was long enough for me to call Shaun twice and to find my camera to snap pics because I didn't think my family would believe me!) of feathers flying and birds bumping into things, they both found their way out and Connor shut the doors HARD. He was relieved to have them out of our house. I don't think Connor and I will be renting "The Birds" any time soon. We lived it.

2 comments:

Kristy or Josh said...

I would have just locked them in and sold the house, that's how I deal with problems.

Mateo said...

Hi-larious. That sounds like it came right out of a sitcom story line. Except on the sitcom the main character, we'll call her "Rachel", gets freaked out and hides under a blanket in her room until the other character, he could be named "Ross", comes home and saves the day. Then they break up for the 24th time.