CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's been hot

It's been hot here in southern California for the last week or so. We've had a very mild summer compared to the rest of the country, and even compared to the last few summers, but that doesn't seem to make it any more bearable. With the temperatures soaring I've had to give up one of my favorite pastimes, baking. But finally this week, as the temperatures dropped into the 80's and even the 70's I braved turning the oven on again! I was dying, not to cook, (I have enjoyed having an excuse to eat out way more than we should!) but to bake something. This is what I made. A classic from my childhood, Chocolate Crinkles. My mom used to make these all the time when I was a kid, and who could blame her? They're like a brownie, but in cookie form. Delish! I got the recipe from this cookbook. Just looking at the cover bring back flashbacks from my childhood. My mom made cookies out of it all the time. I love that you can still buy it and that it still has the same cover. Very retro now. My favorite recipes that my mom used to make out of it were the Snickerdoodles and the Chocolate Crinkles. They both happen to be on the same page and my cookbook now opens right to it! This book also contains the worlds best sugar cookie recipe, Ethel's Sugar cookies.
If you don't own this book, you should it's a classic. But just in case you don't here's the Chocolate Crinkle recipe:
Chocolate Crinkles
1/2 C. vegetable oil
4 sq. unsweetened chocolate (4 oz.), melted
2 C. granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. confectioners sugar
Mix oil, chocolate, and granulated sugar. Blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt into oil mixture. Chill several hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into confectioners sugar. Roll in sugar;shape into balls. Place about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes. Do not over bake! Makes about 6 dozen cookies.






4 comments:

Kate said...

I think I remember those cookies -- and I need this cookbook. Cookies are my specialty : )

Awesome!

Pops said...

Ah...the memories! I am glad you have good ones from your childhood!
Love Mom

Julie said...

They look like the cookies my mom used to bake when I was growing up. We called them "Snow On The Mountain" cookies. Yummy!

Jeanette said...

Don't hit me for saying this, but are these anything like the cookies that they used to have in that back room in the Orem Jr. Cafeteria? I loved those so much!

They look a lot like them.