CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Not as good of a mother as I thought.

I seem to be the type of mother that when my kids do something that I think is really great, like share when NONE of the other kids in nursery do, I pat myself on the back and tell myself that the reason they are doing that is because I am such a good mother and have taught them all the right things. Then when they are the ONLY kid in nursery biting ALL the other kids, I quickly exclaim, "I have no idea where they learned that!", and quickly put the blame on some outside source. I guess things like that happen to humble me. This week I had one of those such experiences. My daughters who are 10 and 8 have had, thus far, a spotless dental record, (a cheddar tooth doesn't count because they luckily out grow that!). No cavities, no fillings and no prospect of braces in the near future. Boy, I am a good mom! I made sure, (unlike all those other mom's out there with children with fillings) that my kids brushed and cared for their teeth regularly. Then came Connor. He had his first real dentist visit this week. A visit that consisted of more than counting and brushing his teeth. The dentist comes out to inform me the the kid has FIVE cavities, and one of them so bad that he needs to get a filling in it in the next couple of days! If our dentist had not been our former bishop, I wouldn't have believed him, I'm a good mom! Well, he was telling the truth and so Connor had his first fillings yesterday, and this is a picture of him shortly afterwards. He was not frowning because the fillings were so bad, he just HATES having his picture taken! He actually did really well. He still has no idea that a S-H-O-T was involved, our dentist was very discrete! So, I have been humbled yet again by one of my children. But, now that I think about it, I myself have never had a cavity and Shaun has a whole mouthful, so apparently Connor inherited his father's teeth and I really have nothing to do with Connor's now mouthful of fillings! Maybe I am as good of a mother as I thought! (And humble too!)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Man I hate dentists. Just reading this has made me very uneasy. There's no way you could NOT realize a shot was involved if you went to my dentist in Virginia. Pure agony. Man I hate dentists. I haven't been to one in about 4 years.
Let's talk about something else now.

Mateo said...

I have had only one cavity. We have yet to take either of our kids to the dentist, but are in the process of finding a good one now. It will be easy though, as we are such good parents I am sure neither of our kids has a cavity.

Kimberley said...

I had to have cavities filled this week too! But I did know that a shot, actually 2, were involved! I like the new face lift on the blog!

Kristy or Josh said...

What is the deal? Your 2 girls can't have enough pictures taken of them and Connor can't stand to be photgraphed. That is so wierd.