CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 25, 2008

A trip to the dentist


Yesterday I got to make my semi annual visit to the dentist. The funny thing that I observed about this was that as I told people where I was going I found that I got the same reaction as I had gotten three weeks earlier as I prepared to attend my Grandmother's funeral. As I dropped Connor off at his usual Thursday outing, his friend Lara's house, my friend asked me, "What fun thing do you have planned to do today without Connor?" I said, " I've got a dentist appointment this morning." Her face immediately fell and she said, "Oh, I'm sorry" I then headed to another one of my friends houses to drop Madison off. She knew where I was going, but momentarily forgot and as I was leaving she said, "Have fun! Oh...wait I didn't mean that...I'm sorry,I forgot. You're going to the dentist...well, you know in the long run it's really for the best." What most people don't know is that I really don't mind going to the dentist. I mean it's not up there with a trip to Disneyland or anything, but it's not so bad. I must have had a really good mom because I have never had a cavity, a filling or any other sort or orthodontia work done. So really the worst part about going to the dentist for me is the not being able to eat for a half an hour after the visit! And another thing, I have a REALLY great dentist. He was my bishop before he was my dentist, and he's just a really nice man. In fact I shared my observation with him about the parallels between a dental visit and attending a funeral and he thought it was quite funny. For all you Mormons out there he just said, "Well, you know it's just all part of The Plan..your Dental plan that is." As I picked Madison up from my sweet friends house, she gently put her arm around me and said, "Are you OK, I mean, I know it hurts a lot" I am not making this up, I'm not nearly clever enough! Just try it out yourself. Next time your going to the dentist take note how people react. Who knows, if you really play it up enough, and it gets back to your Relief Society President, maybe you could get meals brought in for a few days!

5 comments:

Denise said...

OK, my friend is letting me borrow this funny book...I was really a Good Mom before I had Kids by: Trisha Ashworth and Amy Nobile. One of the quizes in opening of this book says check all that apply. Here are some of my favorites:
You feel guilty that you like going to work so much
You dread the question "What do you do all day?"
You find that slowly browsing the aisles at TARGET, by yourself, is better than theappy....and then here's this one:
You consider a trip to the dentist your special "alone time."
So, maybe you can have your cake and eat it too. People feel sorry for you for going to the dentist and you get the sympathy meals.
Any how, the book is fun! You'll have to check it out!

Mateo said...

Dentists are for wusses. I haven't had a real dentist visit since we lived in Madison, Wisconsin 6 years ago. No lie.

Logg said...

I agree with Matt, I haven't been to the dentist in five years.
And I even lived in West Virginia where the consequences of not visiting the dentist are horribly clear. But I refuse to be a wuss.

Sarah said...

At least 2 days of meals after a bad dentist appointment. Good idea ;) But do you think it would have to include funeral potatoes?

Aubrey said...

Nicholle, that is too funny. NOw that it has been a year now, maybe I'll go. Only if you promise to let my relief society president know!