CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Lady in red


I'm pretty boring when it comes to the shoes I wear. When I had children I gave up wearing anything that required tying or buckling. It requires so much effort to get kids out the door with their own shoes on I went for low maintenance. All my shoes, (minus one pair of running shoes)were required to slip on. Fortunately, my having children coincided with a move to southern California, where you can wear flip flops year round. My other quirk when it comes to shoes is that I love red shoes. When I walk into a shoe store I am immediately drawn to the red ones. In recent years I have found that not only am I drawn to red shoes, but I feel like I NEED red shoes, not a lot of them, just a pair or two. I'm wondering if it has something to do with getting older and they somehow make me feel younger. You know, kind of along the lines of the Red Hat Society. My most recently acquired red shoes are my red Vans I got for Christmas. I LOVE THEM. The thing with red shoes is you just can't wear them every day. Not only do they not go with everything, but wearing them everyday somehow would make them not quite as special. On top of that, my older girls find them extremely embarrassing. First of all they think I'm too old to be wearing Vans. Second of all, they're red. I informed them last week that since Valentines day was coming up I would be wearing my red Vans every day until then. They rolled their eyes. Saturday night Sam and I headed out to the grocery store. As we were leaving Sam said, "You're not going to wear those are you?" referring to my shoes. "Of course" I said, "They're cool!" Another eye roll. As we were doing our shopping a high school age girl passed us and looked at my shoes and said, "Cool Vans" and then kept on walking. So I guess I really am as young, hip and cool as I think I am. Of course, the "cool" comment from the teenager is probably negated with the fact that I went to the Vans store to buy my shoes with my 61 year old father, who also purchased a pair. (His weren't red.)

4 comments:

Logg said...

Ah Vans....I own three pairs.
Although I am young and hip, so I'm allowed.
What was your excuse again?

Jenny said...

I found some purple heels that I love, and now I'm desperately trying to figure out what I would ever wear them with so I can justify getting them.

Pops said...

I may be 61 but I can wear Vans too. I don't care about cool, I just like that they are wide like my feet have become. Lately I have been thinking of getting some John Lennon glasses or wearing board shorts all summer and getting back into skateboarding. Would that make me cool or just an embarrassment to my children AND grandchildren?

Logg said...

I speak for all of us Dad when I say, "Nothing you could do would further embarrass any of us."
That ship sailed years ago.