CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 29, 2010

Kindergarten journals

I love kindergarten journal writing. I know teachers claim they have the kids do it to improve their writing skills, but I secretly believe they do it to get a good laugh at the end of each day as they go through their students entries and read them. We have had some great ones come home over the years. I sometimes wonder what the teachers think about what goes on in our family. One of my favorites of Amanda's was when her teacher gave them a starting point of "Write about something you like to do." With much thought behind it, I'm sure, Amanda wrote, "I like to go to the bars." My heart skipped a beat when I read it wondering what her teacher thought. Did she think we were taking out 5 year old out drinking?! Luckily the picture accompanying it was a picture of her playing on the monkey bars at school. The all time favorite journal entry that our family still talks about and laughs about, to this day is another of Amanda's. This time the teacher told them to write about what they did over the weekend. To give you a little background, this was in the year 2002 and a trend at the time was necklaces with little flip flop charms on them. One weekend our family went to Coronado Island and walked through the Hotel Del Coronado and all the cute shops on it's ground floor. At one of the jewelry shops they was a very cute necklace with a flip flop charm on it. I loved it and being the good husband that Shaun is, he bought it for me. Back to the journal writing. When Amanda came home from school the following Monday I asked her what she wrote about in her journal that day. After the whole "bar" entry I always asked to assess what kid of damage control I was going to have to do. She said "Oh, I wrote about going to Coronado and buying you a thong necklace." (Shaun was a little behind the times and still called flip flops thongs at the time. He's learned his lesson.) O.K., not so bad except for the whole using the word thong instead of flip flop. Then she went on to say, "But that was a lot of words and I ran out of room, so I couldn't fit the word necklace. Yes, that's right. Her journal entry read, "We went to Coronado and bought my mom a thong." Taking her to bars, and then out to buy her mom a thong. The next day I talked to her teacher about it and explained and we had a good laugh about it! It just so happens that Connor has the same kindergarten teacher that Amanda did, but I'm not too worried. She already knows all our dirty secrets! The other day he came home with this journal entry and it certainly made me smile. I love that boy and I especially love how thin he drew me!

6 comments:

Allie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Oh, I am loving and laughing at this! What a sweet recent entry from Connor.

lericksen said...

I remember when you told me the "thong" story. I think I laughed more now remembering it. I do think it is funny that boys write far nicer things about mom's than girls.

Logg said...

For the record, the above deleted comment was not mine. Nor was it Josh's.
So that pretty much eliminates all possible culprits in who left a comment so offensive that it had to be deleted.

Pops said...

Oh MY boys! Mom

Anonymous said...

it took me 5 minutes to read that